- Blue and Gold Banquet - Saturday, February 6th, 6:00-8:30 pm at JLES
- Adults / Leaders Meeting - Wednesday February 17th, 7:30-8:30 pm, at Eric Victory's house
- Pinewood Derby - Saturday, March 5th
- March Pack Meeting - Wednesday, March 16th, 7:15 pm at JLES
- April Pack Meeting / Arrow of Light - April 20th, at Fairhaven Methodist Church
- Spring Campout - April 23rd & 24th
Blue & Gold - The annual Blue and Gold Banquet is scheduled for Saturday, February 6, 6:00-8:30 pm at JLES in the All Purpose Room.
The Blue and Gold Committee has a fun-filled, exciting and patriotic evening planned for you! There will be games, awards, and some very special guests. Recall that we won't be awarding the rank awards at the Blue & Gold - we'll be doing that at a future Pack meeting.
RSVP forms were due at Robin Kaufman's house February 1.
Pinewood Derby - The annual Pinewood Derby is scheduled for Saturday, March 5th, roughly 9 am-12 noon. In addition to the Den and Pack competition, we will have an "open" division, for siblings to compete. The car kits (one per scout) were distributed at the January Pack meeting, so get your sandpaper, paints and brushes ready! If you didn't receive one, please contact your den leader (they got the kits). In addition, we'll be sending some important information about this year's Derby:
- Numbers required on cars : This year, we're asking that all the cars come with their number attached (there are stick-on numbers with the kits) - numbers to come in the next email.
- Test track setup : We'll have the track set up for test runs - likely the night before the race. Confirmation to follow.
No February Pack Meeting - We will not have a February Pack meeting other than the Pinewood Derby; the next Pack event is Blue & Gold.
Adults / Leaders Meeting - Wednesday February 17 - We will be holding an adults and leaders meeting to do a mid-year check-in and get prepared for next year. The meeting will be Wednesday, February 17, 7:30-8:30 pm, at Eric Victory's house - 14713 Keeneland Circle. We encourage all of our families to have someone there - your input and feedback into how things are going and where we should be headed are crucially important. We'll also be talking about the Pack's budget, and some key positions we'll need to fill starting next year. If you have some thoughts about how you would like to contribute but are unable to attend, please contact Eric or Gerard.
Call for Volunteers - As always, we rely on parent support and participation to keep the Pack moving. As we approach the end of our Scouting year, we're going to have a number of parents in some very critical roles whose sons will be aging out and moving along from Cub Scouts, so we'll have some key positions to fill, including:
- Popcorn Kernel
- Hiking coordinator
- Camping coordinator
- Raingutter Regatta
If you're interested in any of these, or others (see our SignUpGenius page - http://www.signupgenius.com/go/8050545a5a96-cubscout1- for a fairly full list), please contact Eric.
Upcoming Spring Events - We're still working on dates, but we expect to have several fun-filled events coming up, so keep an eye on this newsletter and the Pack website for more details:
- University of Scouting - Our local council runs a 'supplemental training opportunity' for adult Scout leaders; it's held all-day Saturday February 27 in Alexandria. More information is available at http://www.ncacbsa.org/training/university-of-scouting/.
- Spring Hike - Likely to be held on Sunday afternoon. More details will follow.
- Pack Service Project - Likely to be on a Sunday afternoon in the spring. Stay tuned for more details.
- District Pinewood Derby - For those who qualify at our Pack event, the District-level event appears to currently be scheduled for Saturday, April 9. Confirmation to follow.
- Archery Day and Cub-O-Ree will be held on Saturday, April 16 at Hanson's Farm in N. Potomac. (This is a district-organized event.)
- April Pack Meeting - Arrow of Light - April 20, at Fairhaven Methodist Church (outdoors, weather permitting)
- Spring Family Camping - Tentatively held for April 23-24, at Little Bennett Park
Summer Camp - It's not too soon to start thinking about summer camp - for the current Webelos I and Bear Scouts, the boys are eligible to attend the Goshen Scout Reservation. This is an all-around great week for the boys and a culminating event for their time in Cub Scouts. The tentative week for Goshen is July 24-30 - confirmation to follow.
For the younger dens (Tigers in our case), Camp Snyder, in Haymarket, VA, offers a weekend summer camp experience that's a great introduction. Dates are flexible, and we're still looking for someone to coordinate attendance.
- PDF files for current and previous newsletters are available here:
- September 2014
- October 2014
- November 2014
- December 2014
- January 2015
- February 2015
- March 2015
- April 2015
- May 2015
- September 2015
- October 2015
- November 2015
- December 2015
- January 2016
- February 2016