- September 2018 Pack Meeting - The next Pack Meeting will be on Wednesday, September 26th.
September 2018 Newsletter
Welcome Back - We hope you all had a good summer and are glad you will join us for another exciting year in Cub Scouts. Our first Pack meeting will be held Wednesday, September 26st at Jones Lane ES and will start promptly at 7:15 pm (note that this isn’t our normal 3rd Wednesday). Returning scouts please be in full uniform – NEW scouts do NOT need worry about the uniform for the first meeting. Dues: Your Scout’s den leader will be collecting dues for the year - $70 for the Lions and Tigers and $90 for all the other boys. Please bring a check in the proper amount made out to “Pack 436” - it's important that we have all the boys covered before the camp out on Sept 29.
Boating – September 16, Black Hills Park - – We’ll be starting the year with an outdoor activity – boating at Black Hills Regional Park, on the afternoon of Sunday September 16 at 2 pm (this is the rain date after our September 9 rainout). We won’t be doing any sign-up in advance – you’ll get a boat when you’re there. Some key elements to note:
- Because this is an activity on the water and safety is paramount, a parent is required to be in the same boat with each Scout
- If there’s rain: If it’s raining, we’ll hold the meeting at our usual time and place – JLES cafeteria, 7:15:8:15 pm (time/date to be confirmed once we have a JLES booking). We’ll have a STEM activity. If we do this, the Tigers will conduct the opening and closing flag ceremonies, the Wolves will have setup, and the Bears will have cleanup.
- Canoes, row boats, and pedal boats are available to rent first-come first-served to parents with a driver's license. Rental information is on the Black Hills website: black-hill-boats-little-seneca-lake; costs are about $12-14/hour.
- We do want to try to get a tentative count – if you’re planning to attend, please contact Dan Helgerman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Scout Recruiting - We’d like to make a real effort this year to see if we can add plenty more Cub Scouts to our Pack. We have several things underway:
- Bring a Friend- Our boys can be our most effective voices: have your Scout tell his friends how much he likes Cub Scouts! Boys who recruit a friend into Scouts will earn a Recruiter patch they can wear on their uniform.
- Back to School Night - We’re planning to have a table at the JLES Back to School Night on Thursday September 13 (there’s a single combined BTSN for all the grades).
- oin Scouting Night - is scheduled to be held on Monday, September 17th starting at 7:00 PM at Jones Lane Elementary School. We’ll be sending out fliers to JLES with the Friday September 14th flier distribution – if your Scout has a friend who’s interested, invite him to join us! Please also have your Scout wear one of his Pack t-shirts on September 17 too.
Remember that any boy in grades K through five is welcome to join even if they do not attend Jones Lane Elementary School. If you know of ANY boys who may be interested in joining, but cannot attend Join Scouting Night, their parents can contact Eric Victory at email@example.com or Howie Draisen at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Call for Volunteers - The experiences that we provide our boys as part of Scouting don't just happen by themselves – they require dedicated effort and support from parent volunteers. As with prior years, we are asking that all our families volunteer for at least one position or activity within the Pack. We have done our best to offer a variety of roles, from those requiring some pretty intensive work focused at a specific time to those with a somewhat less intense commitment running throughout the Scouting year. We have worked to incorporate feedback on the volunteering system worked last year, and we're happy to continue to take suggestions for improvement.
Here are some of the positions we are currently looking to fill:
- Treasurer - Tracks the Pack’s finances and administers reimbursements for expenses.
- Asst Popcorn Kernel - Works with the Popcorn Kernel on our neighborhood and grocery store sales – compiling orders from the boys, arranging for the grocery store sales, and ensuring the Scouts collect payment.
- Scouting for Food - Coordinates the Pack's supplies and routes for our Scouting for Food dropoff and pickup - they happen first two Saturdays in November (4th & 11th).
- Blue & Gold Banquet - Coordinating all of the efforts to make our annual celebration of the boys' efforts pay off; we have a couple people signed up already, but this is one of our biggest jobs of the year. The banquet is the evening of the first Saturday in February.
- Pinewood Derby - We're looking for several parents to cover everything from the race itself to handling refreshments and the student volunteers who help us out. Morning of the first Saturday in March.
- Camping / Hiking - Arranges our outdoor activities – family camping in the fall and spring (fall camping is already booked), and fall and spring hikes as well.
You'll note that for the activities requiring multiple people, the sign-up doesn't break down individual tasks - we'll leave it to the group of volunteers to decide how to split up the activities. We'll be doing sign-up again this year via Sign Up Genius. Please visit the following link: www.signupgenius.com , which shows the positions available (and those already filled). If you have taken a look and have questions about what's available and/or when the activity would happen, or if there's something else you have in mind to volunteer for, please contact Eric Victory (email@example.com).
Popcorn Sales - We'll have order forms available at the September Pack meeting, and we'd recommend starting soon (the earlier the better before everyone else has started their fundraising events). This is the ONLY fundraiser for the Pack and traditionally raises a LARGE amount of money to be used for Pack events. More details will follow at the first Pack meeting.
Also, our onsite popcorn selling opportunity this year is split into a few blocks:
- Friday October 5, 6-8 pm, Giant-Kentlands
- Saturday October 6, 12-2 pm, Safeway-Darnestown
- Saturday October 7, 2-4 pm, Ledos-North Potomac (Travilah)
Pack 436 Website - The Pack 436 webiste is www.pack436.com. A copy of this newsletter as well as information about our meetings and events can be found on the website. The Pack calendar is on the website as a Google Calendar, events can be added to your own calendars by clicking on the "Goolge Calendar" button just below the calendar on the right-hand side. Contact Steve Meyer (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions or comments.
Communication - We will continue communication via e-mail in the form of a monthly newsletter and occasional special announements. Your email address will NOT be given out to anyone and will be used for Cub Scout related events ONLY. Please keep us informed of any changes in e-mail addresses. If there are any changes, please contact Eric Victory at email@example.com.
Feedback - We encourage your feedback on ways that we can improve Pack 436. Please forward your input to Eric Victory (Committee Chairman) at firstname.lastname@example.org or Howie Draisen (Cubmaster) at email@example.com. We appreciate your input!
- PDF files for current and previous newsletters are available here:
- September 2014
- October 2014
- November 2014
- December 2014
- January 2015
- February 2015
- March 2015
- April 2015
- May 2015
- September 2015
- October 2015
- November 2015
- December 2015
- January 2016
- February 2016
- March 2016
- April 2016
- May 2016
- September 2016
- October 2016
- November 2016
- December 2016
- September 2017