April Pack Meeting: The April Pack meeting will be the Arrow of Light ceremony, starting at 7:15PM sharp on Wednesday, April 15th. This is an exciting ceremony, with a Native American ritual performed, and the culmination of Cub Scouting for our graduating Webelos II den. The meeting will be held at Fairhaven United Methodist Church, at 12801 Darnestown Rd., the intersections with Norman Dr. and Jones Ln. It will be outdoors with a campfire! Grandparents, other relatives, and friends are welcome and invited. Please dress appropriately and bring chairs or blankets to sit on. In case of inclement weather, the meeting will be held at Jones Lane ES - look for an e-mail if there is a chance of rain. The Bear den will be doing the flags.
Spring Family Camping: The Spring Family Camping has been set for May 2-3 at Little Bennett. This is LOW-KEY but loads of fun. Several things to take note of:
- This will serve as our annual Court of Honor - the boys will be receiving their rank awards, likely on Saturday afternoon (stay tuned for exact timing, but probably around 4 pm) - so we encourage you to attend for that even if you're not able to stay for the whole campout.
- Please register at www.SignUpGenius.com/go/8050545A5A69-pack2/8307864.
- A grill will be provided, but you need to bring your own main dish for dinner; the signup has information about bringing a side dish.
- Cost is $20 per family if you're staying overnight, $10 if you're staying for dinner; no cost for those attending only for the Court of Honor.
- For more information, please contact Jim and Gina Simone at familycamping@Pack436.com.
Chess Night: Thanks to Paul Ramos for
hosting Chess Night!
T-shirts are in - please talk to your Scout's Den Leader if you haven't gotten a chance to pick them up. Thanks to George Price for getting them.
Summer Camp: Outdoor camping is one of the great things the boys get to do as Scouts, and all the boys have the opportunity to attend a camp this summer:
- Camp Goshen is the capstone event for the current Webelos I and Bear dens (i.e., the boys who will be Webelos I and II dens following our bridging ceremony in May); it's a one-week camp in southwestern Virginia (near Harrisonburg). Some of the activities include a rock wall, rifle shooting, archery, swimming, boating, crafts, and playing with slimy animals. Scouts who have attended the Goshen Summer Camp in the past have had a blast (as have the parents who have gone with them as leaders). If you are interested and haven't signed up or if you'd like to help organize, please contact Eric. Our camp dates are July 19-25, and you'll need to register by April 24 to get the lowest rate.
- Snyder Summer Camp and other opportunities - There are many other opportunities for scouts of all ages to participate in summer camp, including the Camp Snyder overnight program. Current Tigers and Wolves are the perfect age to attend. In addition there are shorter sleep-away camps, parent-son weekends, and weeklong day camps. For further information on what's available please see the NCAC website and look under both "Cub Scout Day Camps" and "Camp William B. Snyder" for more details about the camps.
Adult Volunteers: As we approach the end of the current Scouting year, it's not too soon to start thinking about next year - we continue to rely on all of you as adult volunteers for each and every event we run. We're going to be losing a number of leaders this year and next, so if there is something you have in mind that you'd like to do (either an existing job or a need that you think isn't being currently filled), contact Eric and the job can be yours! The bottom line is that there is a lot of work to go around, and we all need to pitch in to contribute to the Scouting experience for our sons. Several in particular that we're pretty sure we'll need next year:
- Camping coordinator
- We'll need a Cubmaster apprentice - only 1 year left for Gerard…
- Pinewood Derby
- Blue & Gold
- Raingutter Regatta
- Tiger den leader(s) and assistant(s) (incoming Tigers)
- Recruiting / Join Scouting Night coordinator
- …and many more!
- Archery Day / Cub-O-Ree April 19 : The Seneca district will
be holding an Archery Day and "Cub-O-Ree" (think of it as a summer camp
preview) on Sunday April 19 at the Hanson Farm (corner of Travilah and
Turkey Foot). Cost is $7-$15. See the district webpage for signup info,
and contact Eric or Gerard if you're interested in attending - we can work
on booking a block of time for the Pack.
- PDF files for current and previous newsletters are available here:
- September 2013
- October 2013
- November 2013
- December 2013
- January 2014
- February 2014
- March 2014
- April 2014
- May 2014
- September 2014
- October 2014
- November 2014
- December 2014
- January 2015
- February 2015
- March 2015
- April 2015