- Spring Hike - Sunday, April 10th, 1:30 pm
- Archery Day and Cub-O-Ree - Saturday, April 16th, 12:00 noon, at Hanson's Farm
- Service Conservation Project - Sunday April 17th, 2:00 pm, at JLES
- April Pack Meeting / Arrow of Light - April 20th, at Fairhaven Methodist Church
- Spring Campout - April 30th & May 1st at Little Bennett Park
Pinewood Derby - Thanks again to our organizers (Adela and Mark Firoozfar, Paul DeRose,and Steve Meyer) for a great race, and good luck to our den winners in the district competition!
April Pack Meeting / Arrow of Light - The April Pack meeting will be the Arrow of Light ceremony, starting at 7:15PM sharp on Wednesday, April 20th. This is an exciting ceremony, with a Native American ritual performed, and the culmination of Cub Scouting for our graduating Webelos II den. The meeting will be held at Fairhaven United Methodist Church, at 12801 Darnestown Rd., the intersections with Norman Dr. and Jones Ln. It will be outdoors with a campfire! Grandparents, other relatives, and friends are welcome and invited. Please dress appropriately and bring chairs or blankets to sit on. In case of inclement weather, the meeting will be held at Jones Lane ES - look for an e-mail if there is a chance of rain. The Webelos I den will be doing the flags.
Pack Hike - Our spring Pack Hike is Sunday April 10 - and apologies again for the confusion with the date. Here's the rest of the info for it:
- Who : All scouts, parents and siblings are welcome
- Location : The C&O Canal
- Meeting Time : Sunday, April 10th at 1:30 PM sharp
- Meeting Place : Parking lot at the end of Pennyfield Lock Road
- Driving Directions : From Travilah Road turn right onto River Road, then take the next left onto Pennyfield Lock Road, follow it to the end
- Hike Route : West from Pennyfield Lock to Violettes Lock and back
- Hike Distance : A total of about 5.2 miles, very flat (some can turn back early if needed)
Spring Family Campout - Our annual spring family campout is April 30-May 1 at Little Bennett Park in Clarksburg. (Note that this is a date change from our previous schedule, which conflicted with Passover.) The cost will be $20 per family for those staying overnight, or $10 if you're joining for Saturday afternoon / evening only - please bring checks to "Pack 436" to the April Pack meeting or drop them off with Eric. (Checks highly preferred to maintain Eric's sanity…)
Also, we'll have a SignUp Genius link coming soon - please keep an eye out for that.
Call for Volunteers - As always, we rely on parent support and participation to keep the Pack moving. As we approach the end of our Scouting year, we're going to have a number of parents in some very critical roles whose sons will be aging out and moving along from Cub Scouts, so we'll have some key positions to fill, including:
- Popcorn Kernel
- Camping & hiking coordinator
- Raingutter Regatta
If you're interested in any of these, or others (see our SignUpGenius page - http://www.signupgenius.com/go/8050545a5a96-cubscout1 - for a fairly full list), please contact Eric. Finally, thanks to those who have already expressed some interest - I'm compiling names and will start getting in touch soon.
Upcoming Spring Events - Mark your calendars for the following events:
- District Pinewood Derby - For those who qualify at our Pack event (the winner from each den), the District-level event appears to currently be scheduled for Saturday, April 9, at the Germantown LDS Church, 9 am-12 noon.
- Archery Day and Cub-O-Ree will be held on Saturday, April 16, 12 noon-5:30 pm at Hanson's Farm in N. Potomac. (This is a district-organized event.) See www.scoutingevent.com/?senecacuboree for more information, and note that registration is highly recommended for archery.
- Service Conservation Project : Parents and scouts invited to Jones Lane PTA Spring Beautification Clean Up on Sunday April 17 from 2-5 pm (rain date April 24). SSL hours available for siblings. Work can be counted toward badge requirements or patches! Come for the entire time or give us the time you can. For more information and signup visit: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/8050c4facac2c7-jones or contact Rosemary DeRose, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer Camp - Summer camp is coming up and the first deadlines for registration are approaching in April.
- Goshen : For the current Webelos I and Bear Scouts, the boys are eligible to attend the Goshen Scout Reservation. This is an all-around great week for the boys and a culminating event for their time in Cub Scouts. Our week for Goshen is July 24-30; contact Aaron Bishop for more information.
- Snyder : For the younger dens (Tigers in our case), Camp Snyder, in Haymarket, VA, offers a weekend summer camp experience that's a great introduction. The following dates are available:
- July 8 - 10
- July 15 - 17
- July 22 - 24
- July 29 - 31
- PDF files for current and previous newsletters are available here:
- September 2014
- October 2014
- November 2014
- December 2014
- January 2015
- February 2015
- March 2015
- April 2015
- May 2015
- September 2015
- October 2015
- November 2015
- December 2015
- January 2016
- February 2016
- March 2016
- April 2016