- May Pack Meeting – Advancement – May 18th, at JLES
- Seneca District Outstanding Unit Scouter award dinner - May 24th
New Cubmaster! As you all know, Gerard Mulford will be wrapping up his service to our Pack as Cubmaster, as his sons move along into Boy Scouting. We thank Gerard for his service, and we're very pleased to announce that Howie Draisen has agreed to take on the role of Cubmaster. Howie is an Eagle Scout, currently working as a civilian engineer for the US Navy. Please join us in thanking Howie, and in wishing him every success in the role.
May Pack Meeting - Advancement - May 18 th - Our next Pack Meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, May 18th starting at 7:15 SHARP at JLES. This is the "advancement" meeting where ALL of our scouts will receive their rank awards and "graduate" to the next level of Cub Scouting. Please plan on attending with siblings, neighbors, relatives, and friends. Don't forget your cameras! The Webelos I and Bear dens have setup; Tigers have opening and closing ceremonies; all will help clean up. Please also remember that this will be the boys' last chance to earn achievements towards their current ranks (except for the current Webelos I den); after this they'll begin working on advancements towards their next rank.
Congratulations to Kathy Quinlan and Eric Victory! Both will be receiving the Seneca District Outstanding Unit Scouter award, in recognition for their dedicated leadership to the Pack. Kathy has been our Webelos den leader for the last 2 years and has also been our Pack Treasurer this year. Eric started out as the Tiger den leader and is now our Committee Chair. Kathy and Eric, the Pack thanks you for your service. There will be a dinner on Tuesday May 24th to recognize Kathy and Eric and to present the awards - contact Eric if you're interested in attending (information and registration can be found at https://scoutingevent.com/?CoH)
Adult Volunteers: As we approach the end of the current Scouting year, we ask for at least one adult in every family to take on one of our adult leadership roles - everything we do is the result of our parents having organized it. We're going to be losing a number of our most key adult leaders this year, so it's particularly important that we get them filled in order to keep the Pack functioning. This is also a great opportunity for your son to see you as a leader. Several in particular that we'll need next year:
- Popcorn Kernel (comes with great hat!)
- Pinewood Derby
- Outdoors chair - camping and hiking
- Raingutter Regatta Admiral
- Recruiting / Join Scouting Night coordinator
- Tiger den leader (incoming Tigers)
Thanks! For those who had a chance to participate, the Pack Hike, the Spring Campout and our annual service project to Jones Lane were all great successes:
- For our service project, we once again cleaned out Jones Lane Elementary School outdoor classroom - it was a great way of thanking the school where we are able to meet. Thanks to Rosemary DeRose and Jeff Kissel their work in organizing.
- Doug Bell led us in a great hike along the C&O Canal on a beautiful Sunday afternoon that was one of the best-attended hikes in the last few years.
- The campout started with some unseasonably cool weather, lots of fun on Saturday afternoon, a great dinner and dessert…and then was one of the wetter campouts in recent memory. In spite of that last point, a good time was had by all, and for the hearty few who stayed the night, they proved they have what it take to be Scouts! If you haven't yet, please get your check for the weekend ($20 for overnight; $10 for afternoon/dinner only) to Eric.
Summer Camp: Outdoor camping is one of the great things the boys get to do as Scouts, and all the boys have the opportunity to attend a camp this summer:
- Goshen: For the current Webelos I and Bear Scouts, the boys are eligible to attend the Goshen Scout Reservation. This is an all-around great week for the boys and a culminating event for their time in Cub Scouts. Our week for Goshen is July 24-30; contact Aaron Bishop for more information.
- Snyder: For the younger dens (Tigers in our case), Camp Snyder, in Haymarket, VA, offers a weekend summer camp experience that's a great introduction. We're planning to attend the July 29 - 31 session; registration is available at https://scoutingevent.com/?CWBSCubResCamp
Pack Summer Activities: Stay tuned to email over the summer - we're going to try to schedule an event or two this summer, like a picnic, Frederick Keys game, BBQ, meet-up-at-the-swimming-pool, bowling, etc. Better yet, if you would like to coordinate any of these events, please let Eric know ASAP. Thank you!
- PDF files for current and previous newsletters are available here:
- September 2014
- October 2014
- November 2014
- December 2014
- January 2015
- February 2015
- March 2015
- April 2015
- May 2015
- September 2015
- October 2015
- November 2015
- December 2015
- January 2016
- February 2016
- March 2016
- April 2016
- May 2016