- Join Scouting Night - Tuesday, September 9th
- Pack Meeting - Wednesday, September 17th
- Fall Family Camping - Saturday & Sunday, September 27-28th
Welcome Back! – We hope you all had a good summer and are glad you will join us for another exciting year in Cub Scouts. Our first Pack meeting will be held Wednesday, September 17th at Jones Lane ES and will start promptly at 7:15PM. Returning scouts please be in full uniform – NEW scouts do NOT need worry about the uniform for the first meeting. Dues: Your son’s den leader will be collecting dues for the year - $55 for the Tigers and $75 for all the other boys. Please bring a check in the proper amount made out to “Pack 436” - it's important that we have all the boys covered before the campout on Sept 27.
Call for Volunteers – The experiences that we provide our boys as part of Scouting don't just happen by themselves – they require dedicated effort and support from parent volunteers. As with last year, we are requiring that all our families volunteer for at least one position or activity within the Pack. We have done our best to offer a variety of roles, from those requiring some pretty intensive work focused at a specific time to those with a somewhat less intense commitment running throughout the Scouting year. We have worked to incorporate feedback on the volunteering system worked last year, and we're happy to continue to take suggestions for improvement.
Here are some of the positions we are currently looking to fill:
- Popcorn Kernel : Thanks very much to Chris Steele for volunteering to take over as our Popcorn Commander!! We would still like to find an assistant for him.
- Camping : Responsible for setting up our annual campouts, including activities, assigning campsites, collecting money, etc.
- Blue & Gold Banquet : Coordinating all of the efforts to make our annual celebration of the boys' efforts pay off; we have a couple people signed up already, but this is one of our biggest jobs of the year. The banquet is the evening of the first Saturday in February.
- Pinewood Derby : We're looking for several parents to cover everything from the race itself to handling refreshments and the student volunteers who help us out. Morning of the first Saturday in March.
- Raingutter Regatta : The Regatta is the main activity at our November Pack meeting (11/19), and we need one more adult to assist Tim Sievers in running it.
- Hiking : Schedules and plans our fall and spring day-hiking trips
- Treasurer : Our current Treasurer's son will be aging out at the end of the year, so we're looking for someone to take over towards the end of the year - not actually on the signup, but please contact Eric Victory if you're interested
You'll note that for the activities requiring multiple people, the sign-up doesn't break down individual tasks - we'll leave it to the group of volunteers to decide how to split up the activities. We'll be doing sign-up again this year via Sign Up Genius. Please visit the following link: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/8050545A5A96-cubscout, which shows the positions available (and those already filled). If you have taken a look and have questions about what's available and/or when the activity would happen, or if there's something else you have in mind to volunteer for, please contact Eric Victory (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Join Scouting Night is scheduled to be held on Tuesday, September 9th starting at 7:00 PM at Jones Lane Elementary School. Although current scouts are not required to attend, we could certainly use the help of several of the older scouts to speak with new incoming scouts as well as a few adults to talk with the parents who show up. We are looking for boys to join our Pack - and historically the best recruitment method has been word-of-mouth. Remember that any boy in grades one through five is welcome to join even if they do not attend Jones Lane Elementary School. Any Cub Scout who “recruits” a new scout who joins the Pack will receive a “Recruiter” badge to wear on their uniform. If you know of ANY boys who may be interested in joining, but cannot attend Join Scouting Night, please have them contact Eric Victory at email@example.com.
Popcorn Sales – We'll have order forms available at the September Pack meeting, and we'd recommend starting soon (the earlier the better before everyone else has started their fundraising events). This is the ONLY fundraiser for the Pack and traditionally raises a LARGE amount of money to be used for Pack events. More details will follow at the first Pack meeting.
Also, grocery store popcorn selling opportunity is early this year and we are only selling on one day - the following are the assigned times for each den:
- Saturday September 20 , Giant in the
- 10 am-12 noon: Tigers
- 12 noon-2 pm: Wolves
- 2-4 pm: Bears
- 4-6 pm: Webelos I
- 6-8 pm: Webelos II
If you are unable to attend your Scout's den's scheduled time, please contact your den leader to let him or her know, and please make every effort to attend one of the other sessions - the sales at Giant are a big part of the Pack's sales.
For further information please contact Chris Steele at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall Family Camping – Fall Family Camping will be early this year - September 27-28 (Sat-Sun) at Little Bennett. Sign up will be at the first Pack Meeting on September 17, or via SignUpGenius at www.SignUpGenius.com/go/8050545A5A69-fall/8307864. Cost will be $10/family if you're staying Saturday only, $20/family if you are staying overnight to camp. Checks are preferred, payable to Pack 436. We will be sharing sites (2 families per site – there’s PLENTY of room!). There will be more information at the September Pack meeting.
Pack Calendar and activities – The draft Pack calendar for the year is attached; it will be periodically updated on will be posted on our Website, so please check periodically for any changes. Note that we're making a few changes in our overall calendar this year:
- Target timing for rank awards : Historically, we have aimed to have the boys complete their rank awards and then awarded them at the Blue & Gold Banquet in either February or March. We have had feedback over the years that this timing is very tight so we have moved the schedule a bit - our March Pack meeting is now going to become a Court of Honor, and it will be solely focused on recognizing the boys for the achievement of their rank awards. You should keep this timing in mind (mid-March) as you work with your Scout on his rank award, and the Den Leaders will be doing this as well.
- Blue & Gold Banquet : With the addition of the Court of Honor, the Blue & Gold banquet will move back to its traditional February timing and it will be a celebration of Scouting and the chance to share an evening together as a Pack.
- Pinewood Derby : The Pinewood Derby will be moving to the first Saturday in March.
Pack 436 Website – The Pack 436 website is www.pack436.com. A copy of this newsletter as well as information about our meetings and events can be found at the website. The Pack calendar is on the website as a Google Calendar, so events can be added to your own calendars by clicking on the "Google Calendar" button just below the calendar on the right-hand side. Contact Doug Bell (email@example.com) with any questions or comments.
Communication – We will continue communication via e-mail in the form of a monthly newsletter (and occasional “special announcements”). Your e-mail address will NOT be given out to anyone and will be used for Cub Scout related events ONLY. Please keep us informed of any changes in e-mail addresses. If there are any changes, please contact Eric Victory at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feedback – We encourage your feedback on ways that we can improve Pack 436. Please forward your input to Eric Victory (Committee Chairman) at email@example.com or Gerard Mulford (Cubmaster) at firstname.lastname@example.org. We appreciate your input!
- PDF files for current and previous newsletters are available here:
- September 2013
- October 2013
- November 2013
- December 2013
- January 2014
- February 2014
- March 2014
- April 2014
- May 2014
- September 2014