May Pack Meeting - Advancement - May 20 th - Our next Pack Meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, May 20th starting at 7:15 SHARP at JLES. This is the "advancement" meeting where ALL of our scouts will "graduate" to the next level. Please plan on attending with siblings, neighbors, relatives, and friends. Don't forget your cameras! The Bears have setup; Wolves have opening and closing ceremonies; all will help clean up. Please also remember that this will be the boys' last chance to earn achievements towards their current ranks (except for the current Webelos I den); after this they'll begin working on advancements towards their next rank.
Congratulations to Kevin McCue and Aaron Bishop! Both will be receiving the Seneca District Outstanding Unit Scouter award, in recognition for their dedicated leadership to the Pack. During his time with the Pack, Kevin has served in a broad range of leadership roles, including being a den leader for 2 separate dens, webmaster, and Pinewood Derby organizer. Aaron has served as the Assistant Den Leader for our current Bear den since his son joined, and is also a commissioner at the district level. Kevin and Aaron, the Pack thanks you for your service. There will be a dinner on Tuesday May 19 to recognize Kevin and Aaron and to present the awards - contact Eric if you're interested in attending (registration information is on the Seneca district webpage)
Adult Volunteers: As we approach the end of the current Scouting year, we ask you to consider taking on one of our adult leadership roles - we continue to rely on all of you as adult volunteers for each and every event we run. We're going to be losing a number of leaders this year and next, so if there is something you have in mind that you'd like to do (either an existing job or a need that you think isn't being currently filled), contact Eric and the job can be yours! The bottom line is that there is a lot of work to go around, and we all need to pitch in to contribute to the Scouting experience for our sons. Several in particular that we'll need next year:
- Camping coordinator
- Facility / reservations coordinator - we're looking for someone who is trained in the Montgomery County system and can book us at JLES
- We'll need a Cubmaster apprentice - only 1 year left for Gerard…
- Recruiting / Join Scouting Night coordinator
- Tiger den leader (incoming Tigers)
- Wolf den leader
- Bear den leader
- Pinewood Derby
- Next year would be a great year for someone to apprentice on the Raingutter Regatta
- …and many more!
Thanks! For those who had a chance to participate, the Spring Campout and our annual service project to Jones Lane were both great successes. For our service project, we once again cleaned out Jones Lane Elementary School outdoor classroom - it was a great way of thanking the school where we are able to meet. A tremendous thanks to Jim and Gina Simone for organizing the camping, and Rosemary DeRose for setting up the service project, and to all who helped out with both activities. Thanks also to Paul Ramos for organizing Chess Night.
Summer Camp: Outdoor camping is one of the great things the boys get to do as Scouts, and all the boys have the opportunity to attend a camp this summer:
- Camp Goshen is the capstone event for the incoming and current Webelos I; it's a one-week camp in southwestern Virginia (near Harrisonburg). We have a large group already signed up, but if you are interested and haven't signed up, please contact Eric. Our camp dates are July 19-25.
- Snyder Summer Camp and other opportunities - There are many other opportunities for scouts of all ages to participate in summer camp, including the Camp Snyder overnight program. Current Tigers and Wolves are the perfect age to attend. In addition there are shorter sleep-away camps, parent-son weekends, and weeklong day camps. For further information on what's available please see the NCAC website and look under both "Cub Scout Day Camps" and "Camp William B. Snyder" for more details about the camps.
Pack Summer Activities: Stay tuned to email over the summer - we're going to try to schedule an event or two this summer, like a picnic, Frederick Keys game, BBQ, meet-up-at-the-swimming-pool, bowling, etc. Better yet, if you would like to coordinate any of these events, please let Eric know ASAP. Thank you!
- PDF files for current and previous newsletters are available here:
- September 2013
- October 2013
- November 2013
- December 2013
- January 2014
- February 2014
- March 2014
- April 2014
- May 2014
- September 2014
- October 2014
- November 2014
- December 2014
- January 2015
- February 2015
- March 2015
- April 2015
- May 2015